As I was praying this morning, it occurred to me how wise my husband is, and I don’t give him credit for it. In self-pride, I think I have all the answers. I don’t take his opinions seriously when I should. Instead, I assume he’s only thinking of himself. It’s not a fair assessment. I must honestly consider his point of view, and be obedient to him. What woman wants to do this? Are there any? And yet, I’m learning, that although I may think he is wrong or I do not agree with him, the absolute best thing I can do is obey. It seems, things don’t really turn out as well when I choose to go my own way. Isn’t this what God wants from us. He prefers our obedience over our burnt offerings. Should I worry that Tom’s decisions, no matter how big or small may not match God’s plan for us? No. God is always in control. I have only to give myself over to Him and trust that He will work it out. He has proven His faithfulness time and again. And He does not change.
Doesn’t every man desire his wife to look upon her husband with adoration and acknowledge his wisdom? To support his decisions no matter how big or small. Why do women fear this so much? Aren’t we afraid that our voices will not be heard? Aren’t we afraid that it means our opinions have no significance in this life? It’s true that history proves this to be a valid fear. The women’s movement in America was a result of the oppression of women. Even today, history is made as other countries are persuaded to democracy and new rights for women who have been oppressed for decades. Where is the man who will stand up for the woman he loves and give her a voice. I believe he is found only in Jesus.
Still, while it may be our desire to fight our husbands to be heard. This is not what God calls us to do. And while our voices may be louder than our husband’s, we are not winning the fight. Instead, we are hurting our marriage, breaking it down. And we break down our husbands with it. Ironic isn’t it. Because in truth, don’t we also want a husband we can look upon with adoration, someone with great wisdom.
No comments:
Post a Comment