Tom and I had a good discussion this evening. It reflects well on the lessons I feel God has been trying to teach me lately. We were talking about love and respect and our God-given roles as a servant leader and as a helper. I believe that God clearly views man and woman as equal based on the way He has treated and used women to His glory over the ages. I also believe that when He calls the husband to love the wife as Christ loved the church, this means the husbands primary goal is to provide guidance to her to help her accomplish God's will and to aid in drawing her closer in a personal relationship with Him. In the same way, the wife is called to help her husband accomplish God's will and encourage a deeper and stronger relationship with the Lord.
Of course, how to help and encourage your spouse can be a lot more tricky than it seems. We end up fighting because we're always telling each other how God's will can best be accomplished. We don't do a very good job of accepting the other's differences. We often agree on what God's will is, just not on how to accomplish it. Our methods seem to differ greatly. But you know, the thing is, I really believe that Tom is a genius. His way may seem ludicruis to me, but that doesn't mean that it won't work or that it's wrong. I have to keep in mind that God, who does things in mysterious ways, may, and very likely will, choose to accomplish His will in Tom in some very mysterious way. I have to let go. I have to give up control. I have to learn to trust God and to trust Tom even when I don't know what the outcome will be. I have to trust that Tom means only good things for me and for us. I have to trust in His love for me, the same way I have to trust in these things with God.
1 comment:
Tom... "Man of mystery"...That is something to think about!)
Post a Comment