Thursday, January 20, 2011

Love and Respect

Deuteronomy 10:12: And now Israel, what does the Lord require of you? He requires only that you fear the Lord your God and live in a way that pleases Him, and love Him and serve Him with all your heart and soul.

Recently did a marriage study on Love & Respect with Tom. The author reasons that women most need to be loved and men most need to be respected. He says the Bible is filled with verses that elude to this and quotes many of them. It's a new concept to us here in the "western world." We always focus solely on love when men are feeling so disrespected. It was a pretty good study. I think we could stand to do it again a couple more times. There is a lot to learn and take in.

The thing I found interesting, is the realization of how much I feel a need for respect. Of course, I think I may define respect in a slightly different way than what Tom does.

This verse above, got me thinking about the marriage study. What does it mean to fear the Lord? I think it means to respect Him, who He is, His authority. The God of the Universe is asking for...Love & Respect. He made man and woman in His image, we are both like Him, and therefore desire Love and Respect.

Oh Father, teach me what it looks like, how to show you respect, and then how to apply that to my husband, that I can show him respect also.

No comments: